Today I’m going to do a stash buster project with you as I have recently going through my yarn stash wondering what I’m earth I’m supposed to do with all the smaller skeins (20 grams and under) that are taking up precious space; enter crochet bookmarks. I’m so used to doing larger projects that I use a lot of yarn with it was great to have that sense of accomplishment when I finished these super quick crocheted bookmarks within the space of a movie.
The pattern instructions I”m going to talk you through were taught to mfe by my Grandma but because it’s such a simple pattern it wouldn’t surprise me if others just like it with different approaches but this is our way. Now, if you are new to crochet and know the basics then you will do just fine with this pattern as you only need the following skills (all in US terms with UK next):
- Ch = chain x amount
- Sp = slip stitch
- Sc = single crochet (UK double)
- Dc = double crochet (UK treble)
- Hdc = half double crochet (UK half treble)
- Tr= treble crochet (UK double treble)
You will also need the following resources which I’m sure you’ll have in your stash:
- 4mm crochet hook
- 3 types of DK weight yarn; I use acrylic based yarns but anything will work
- Magic loop (video below) with your center colour
- Ch2 and make 11dc into the center hole, tighten magic loop to close the hole and sp into the top of Ch2 and cut the yarn
- With your petal colour join with the center coloured yarn and make sure you are now working in the spaces between the dcs of the previous round
- For the first petal all in the same space; ch1, hdc, dc, 3tr, dc, hdc, sc
- For all other petals *skip a ch space, (sc, hdc, dc, 3tr, dc, hdc, sc all in same space)* 6 times then sp into first stitch
- With your stem colour ch30 and then dc into every stitch, fasten off and sew to flower head.
If you like these bookmarks but are just interested in the finished items you can purchase them through the Shop Items tab at the top of the page or you can head straight over to the Relaxing With Yarn Etsy shop.
If you need any extra support please feel free to check out the following resources: