As winter is on its way I have been whipping up some new accessories for me and the family and today’s article is all about how to make a basic beanie hat. This is a free pattern for you to use at anytime to make sure you favourite it so you can come back whenever you need to. Make sure you also subscribe so that you are also the first to be notified when I publish a new pattern.
The Basic Beanie Hat
This pattern is to fit head circumference: baby (14”), toddler (16”), child (18”), Adult M.(21”), Adult L (23”), and Adult XL (26”).
- Knit stitch, purl stitch, decrease,
- 6 stitches per inch
- 8 rows per inch
Tools & Materials:
- Needles: 4.00 mm, US 6, or UK 8 circular or DPNs
- Yarn: 50 – 170 m of DK acrylic or blended yarn
- Stitch marker
- Tapestry Needle
- CO = cast on
- K = knit stitch
- P = Purl stitch
- k2tog: knit 2 stitches together
- k3tog: knit 3 stitches together
- St(s) = stitch(es)
- Rep = repeat
- *…* x times = repeat pattern as stated by number of repeats in pattern
CO: 72 (84, 96, 114, 132, or 144) stitches plus an additional 1 st. Join in the round and then bind off the first stitch so that you end up with your stated number of stitches.
Place a stitch marker at the beginning of the round and slip it at each encounter.
- *k1, p1* repeat until end of round and then continue until you have reached 1.5” (2.5”, or 3” for other sizes).
- Knit all stitches on every round until piece measures 4.5” (6”, 7”, 7”, 8”, or 9”) from cast on edge or your desired length if you want a slouchier look.
- Row 1: *k1, k2tog, kt2* rep until end of round
- Row 2 – 4: k all sts
- Row 5: *k3tog, k1* rep until end of round
- Row 6 – 8: k all sts
- Row 9: *k3tog, k1* rep until end of round
- Row 10: k all sts
- Row 11: k2tog until end of round – sts left 6 (7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
For baby & toddler sizes stop here, cut approximately 8” of yarn, gather remaining sts with tapestry needle and then weave in ends.
- For child & adult l size: Round 12: k2tog until end of round, cut yarn and gather up all sts with tapestry needle and weave in ends.
- For adult m & adult xl size: Round 12: k1 *k2tog* until end of round, cut yarn and gather up all sts with tapestry needle and weave in ends.
- Weave in all ends
- Block garment to reach correct finishing size
So now that you know how to make a basic hat check out my other available patterns over on Etsy at my shop RelaxingWithYarn where you can find lots of other patterns to keep you busy.